July 7th - July 20th 2011. Zimbabwe, Africa. Hands Of Hope. http://hohafrica.org/wp/
January 5th - March 30th, 2013. Philippines. World Harvest Ministries. www.­tomrandall.­org

Monday, January 7, 2013

A grand adventure to the Philippines

As I am writing this I am on the airplane heading toward Korea, our layover before getting to Manila. So if part of this doesn't make sense, sorry. :/


Why 3 months?
I have been on two short term missions over the last few years, and absolutely loved them. But I always felt like we would get there, get used to the culture, start developing relationships with amazing people and then have to leave. I think after getting back from Peru last year God put on my heart to go and serve on a trip for longer then a standard short-term trip. So I looked at my life where I was a couple months ago and decided that now was the time to go. I am currently on a leave of absence from work and am taking a semester off of school (since I have been in school for 6 years and have yet to pick a major ha). God has led me every step of the way through this whole process, and really blessed me.



A lot of people have been asking what am I most excited for on this trip
Well there are a couple things I have been looking forward to.
First, as some of you know I have many half siblings. One of which is the youngest and lives in Manila. And at some point on my trip I will get the chance to go and meet him! None of us in the United States have been able to actually meet him in person yet so I am excited for this time, if up I can be praying for this.
Second, in the United States there are so many media distractions and I feel we lose a lot of just spending time with one another. So I am looking forward to a time where I don't have to constantly check my phone, but instead be really focused on a time of being present and building relationships with the people and kids.


The past few days before I left held some of the most precious moments in my life. From "family dinners" at the mansion, to the Haines opening up their house to have a prayer night for me, to being able to go up to seascape at awakening winter retreat for Ryan to pray for me and have them send me off. I am truly blessed with the most amazing community. I want to thank all the people that have made this possible through financial and prayer support. My heart is so happy.


Some ways you can pray:
For safety, health, and protection.
That I would focus on Gods plan for this time. At winter retreat Friday night the speaker said


"God determines our encounters, we determine our engagement."



Pray that I would have eyes to see what God lays before me and cease every opportunity he puts out in front of me.






"Be strong and courageous.... For The Lord is with you wherever you go" Joshua 1:9

*Some of my friends wrote letters to me so I could open one every day while I'm gone. Hector, you had the first letter. Thanks for the verse, had to share :)

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you, Amanda! And I am looking forward to reading more posts from your blog- there's something about them that just captures your contagious joy and it is a blessing to read :) Looking forward to praying for you during this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Taylor! That's really sweet. Hope all is well with you :]

    ReplyDelete